As many of you know, the Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic holds an annual frontline workers’ training in the Fall. This year the training will continue to be conducted via Zoom and it will be split into 3 sessions with different topics.
The training will be on every Tuesday afternoon between 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. starting on November 2 to November 16. Please SAVE THE DATE in your calendar as follow.
COVID-19 Vaccinations in the Workplace; and Reasonable Notice of Termination – Tuesday, November 2 from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Speaker: Jason Huang-Kung (Employment Lawyer, CSALC Board Chair)
HOUSING – Tuesday, November 9 from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Speakers: Doug Kwan (Director of Advocacy and Legal Services, Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO))Jacky Chiu (LTB Duty Counsel, ACTO)
IMMIGRATION – Tuesday, November 16 from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Speakers: Shalini Konanur (Executive Director, South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO))Nir Gepner (Lawyer, Willowdale Community Legal Services)
LEGAL ISSUES FACING LOW-INCOMERACIALIZED AND IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES
Free webinars for frontline legal clinic and community workers(organized by Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic (CSALC))November 2, 9 and 16, 2021
Join us in CSALC’s annual November frontline worker training – the first three Tuesdays from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. Learn about emerging legal issues and the laws and policies affecting the communities we serve.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 2 – EMPLOYMENT
Vaccinations in the Workplace; and Reasonable Notice of Termination
1. The COVID-19 pandemic has created unique workplace issues, including mandatory vaccinations and/or frequent COVID testing. Learn about these issues and how employees may navigate through them.
2. To support workers who are being dismissed during this pandemic, learn about employees’ rights to common law reasonable notice and how the pandemic has affected this.
Speakers – Jason Huang-Kung (Employment Lawyer at Kung, Lo & Jia LLP, CSALC Board Chair) Evan Wang (Articling Student at Kung, Lo & Jia LLP)
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 9 – HOUSING Housing – Tips and Trends
This seminar is for those with a general knowledge of residential tenancy law who would like to take it to the next level – get important updates and useful tips!
1. How has the Landlord and Tenant Board’s Digital First process fundamentally changed access to justice for tenants?
2. What are some practical tips for tenants preparing for their hearing at the Board?
3. What are the key court decisions of the past year
4. How are some landlords evicting tenants just to raise rents?
Speakers – Doug Kwan (Director of Advocacy and Legal Services, Advocacy Centre for Tenants of Ontario (ACTO)) Jacky Chiu (LTB Duty Counsel, ACTO)
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 16 – IMMIGRATION
Update on Current Policies, H&C Applications, and Temporary Resident Permits
There has been an onslaught of pandemic-related immigration policies and changes.
1. Review efficient ways to navigate through all of this: where to find valid information on current policies and what sources of information to avoid.
2. Review H&C applications (humanitarian and compassionate grounds) and TRP processes (temporary resident permits) – their sources, limits, suggested tips and case scenarios. Speakers – Shalini Konanur (Executive Director, South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO)) Nir Gepner (Lawyer, Willowdale Community Legal Services)
We will send out the zoom link the date before each session after your registration. Look forward to e-seeing you soon! For more information, please contact the Chinese & Southeast Asian Legal Clinic at 416-971-9674 or email at firstname.lastname@example.orgNovember-2021-frontline-training-sessions-flyer_21Oct2021